History of AGH UST
The AGH University of Science and Technology represents a history of over 100 years of education, research and technical sciences.
Establishment of university
The history of the AGH University of Science and Technology in Kraków dates back to 1912, when a group of outstanding engineers and mining activists initiated the process of applying for consent to establish a school of higher education, that would educate mining engineers in Kraków. The endeavours were successful, and by force of a Supreme Order issued by Emperor Francis Joseph on 31st May 1913, the establishment of the Mining Academy in Kraków was approved. The outbreak of World War I prevented the academy from beginning its activity in 1914.
Opening and development in interwar period
On 20th October 1919, Józef Piłsudski, Head of State, inaugurated the Mining Academy in the main hall of the Jagiellonian University. On 15th June 1923, the cornerstone for the future university building was laid. Before the entrance to the main building of the academy, monuments of miners and metallurgists can be seen, these were made of ceramic material by the sculptor Jan Raszka in 1935. Soon, the academy reached a very high educational standard, and became one of the best European mining schools. Since its early days, the university has collaborated closely with industry, and retained close links with the Polish economy.
World War II
The outbreak of World War II stopped the development of the academy. The property of the academy was completely devastated and plundered, and the sculpture of St Barbara mounted on the main university building A-0 was broken when thrown from the roof of the building (and was not returned to the roof of the A-0 building until 1999).
Thanks to the dedication of the staff, part of the library was saved. The academy started to act in secret, and the authorities tried to regain or create provisional teaching facilities.
At the beginning of 1945, the Mining Academy was the only technical university in Poland which was able to operate. It became a support centre for other technical universities in Poland. Cracow University of Technology came into being within the walls of the academy; it acted under the name of the Polytechnic Faculties of the Mining Academy until 1954. The academy also played a major role in the establishment of other technical universities in Poland, such as the Silesian University of Technology, and Częstochowa University of Technology, and it also contributed to the reconstruction of Warsaw University of Technology, and the organization of Wrocław University of Technology and Gdańsk University of Technology. In 1947, an internal decision was made to rename the university the Academy of Mining and Metallurgy (in Polish: Akademia Górniczo-Hutnicza, in abbreviation AGH). However, a formal approval of the decision by the superior authorities took place only in 1949.
On 14th December 1981, the AGH UST academic community, under the flag of "Solidarność", had the courage to protest against suppression - by the act of imposing Martial Law - resulting in a feeling of freedom and solidarity. The Independent Self-Governing Trade Union "Solidarność" at the AGH UST was a student organisation, the only one in Kraków, and one of only three in Poland, which organised sitdown strikes in the first days of Martial Law.
AGH UST today
The AGH University of Science and Technology in Kraków is a modern state university of national reach, which develops collaboration with colleges and universities in Europe and all over the world. The AGH UST is a technical university where the sciences are strongly represented, and at the same time they constitute a basis for the development of a wide spectrum of applied sciences and the gradually increasing role of humanities. In line with global trends, we create new fields of study, but at the same time we keep the conventional ones, which are indispensable for the proper development of science, technology and economy for our country.
We go beyond the boundaries of knowledge
Alongside traditional faculties closely connected with mining and metallurgy, the university also has faculties whose research activity is connected not only with the conventional branches of industry or natural and technical sciences, but also with the branches of science which are fundamental for the development of modern economies, such as new materials, renewable sources of energy, biomedical engineering, information technology and applied mathematics.
We are well-known in Polish Patent Office
The university is a creative place. This fact is confirmed by annual reports published by the Polish Patent Office, where we are in the lead among institutions submitting the largest number of inventions and utility models. Every year, we obtain over 100 patents and sell several dozen licences.
Our activity is also noticeable on the European arena. The AGH UST is a leader among Polish schools of higher education with regard to the number of patent applications in the European Patent Office.
We accomplish multi-directional collaboration
Scientific research, fields of study taking into account the needs of the labour market, scholarships, practical trainings, regular meetings with employers, and a smooth flow of students and graduates to the labour market are the key elements of collaboration between the AGH UST and foreign universities, science institutions, industrial enterprises and companies which are crucial for the country's economy.
Research subject areas at AGH UST
The wide scope of research conducted at the university is a result of the contemporary structure which has been shaped over the last 100 years; the development of the university units was connected with the dynamic development of the country's economy. Invariably, AGH UST's ambition has been getting ahead of the present time, a result of which are many innovative solutions in different areas. Research activity of the AGH University of Science and Technology comprises eight subject areas: information technologies, new materials and technologies, environment and climatic changes, energy and its resources, mining, electrical and mechanical engineering, exact and natural sciences, socio-economic sciences and humanities.
Faculty of Applied Mathematics
History of Faculty of Applied Mathematics
Mathematics at the AGH University of Science and Technology has been thought since the start of the university. The first rector of the Mining Academy in office was a mathematician, prof. Anthony Hoborski. He was also head of the Department of Mathematics, which was established from the beginning.
After World War II, the number of students increased at the oldest technical university in Kraków. Following this organizational changes were introduced which increased the number of mathematicians employed in the university, in 1969 the Institute of Mathematics was organised. This was an inter-entity and its employees engaged in teaching of mathematics in all departments of the AGH UST.
The Senate of the AGH UST decided on 1st November 1997, in place of the Institute of Mathematics to create the Faculty of Applied Mathematics. Studies in this direction were started in 1998/99. After five years of study, graduates receive a master's degree in mathematics. The study program is aimed at applications of mathematics, with particular emphasis on: financial and insurance mathematics, discrete mathematics, computational mathematics, computer science and mathematical applications in technical sciences and natural sciences.
However, since 2004 the Faculty of Applied Mathematics has the right to award doctorates in mathematics. On 26th October 2015, the faculty was granted the right to confer the postdoctoral degree of mathematical sciences in the discipline of mathematics.
Since the Statute of the AGH UST forces relatively large departments, division of departments in addition to "groups" were introduced. The departments and the groups operate so-called "research groups" where people work together on related issues. Research interests of employees reflects the structure of the faculty.
Department of Mathematical Analysis, Computational Mathematics and Probabilistic Methods is divided into two groups: "Mathematical Analysis" and "Computational Mathematics and Probabilistic Methods".
Scientific activities of employees of the Department of Discrete Mathematics applies to discrete mathematics with particular emphasis on: theory of graphs, combinatorics and theoretical computer science. Within the Department of Discrete Mathematics, there are two research groups: "Combinatorial Analysis" and "Theory of Graphs" with a non-empty intersection of areas of interest.
The scientific activity of employees of the Department of Financial Mathematics is represented mainly in the works of the research group "Stochastic Control in Finance".
Within the Department of Differential Equations, there are two research groups: "Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems", which deals with analytical, qualitative and numerical studies of differential equations and dynamical systems, and "Differential Geometry".